Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Garden Fresh Lasagna

Today, I made garden fresh lasagna and froze it so my husband could have a ready-made dinner while my daughter and I are out of town.  We are headed to Boston to visit my friend, Whitney, and tour New England for almost a whole week!

Whenever I make lasagna, I try to see how many vegetables I can cram in it without my kids really knowing.  This time, I was able to put in: zucchini, yellow squash, spinach and carrots.  I added ground turkey for the meat.  I added basil and some more garlic to the sauce.  Whenever I cook up the sauce, I like to add shredded carrots to cut down on the acidity rather than use sugar.

This looks like cheddar cheese, but it's really shredded carrot.  Note to self,  save up for a nice camera.
I add shredded zucchini to the ricotta mixture along with spinach.
Then, when I'm layering the sauce, cheese and the pasta (I use the no boil kind...shhhh, don't tell Giada), I also layer in more zucchini.
Yes, from the garden
And, that was my afternoon... mixed in with homework, piano practice and babies.  For dinner tonight, along with leftovers, I made this garden pizza using my left over pesto and tons of vegetables from the garden (garlic, zucchini, tomatoes, basil).  I vote for real food every time I can.  And, yes, the kids ate it.



No comments:

Post a Comment