Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chicken Stock Secrets

Homemade Chicken Stock is hands down the best tasting broth around...and it’s actually quite easy to make.  When I buy chicken, I usually buy chicken breasts with skin on and bones in.  Not only is it cheaper, it will save you money and you'll have healthier and tastier meals.

Every time I roast a whole chicken or a tray of chicken breasts, I save all the bones and seasonings that are left after taking off the meat.  I toss it all into a gallon ziplock bag, date and label it “for chicken stock” and throw it in the freezer.  Then, when I need chicken stock for a recipe, I know that I’ll have what I need to make great chicken stock.

The secret to great broth?  Rosemary and Sage.  These two plants are my most used herbs in my garden.

Basic Chicken Stock:
leftover chicken parts (bones and skin)
1 onion
garlic cloves...about 5???
about 4 carrots
about 4 celery stalks
about 1 Tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper or peppercorns
a sprig each of rosemary and sage (come over and I'll share!)


Wash and roughly chop the vegetables.  No need to dice or slice.  I don’t even peel the carrots. Put the chicken and all the ingredients in a stock pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 4 hours...while you do all those other things that you have to get done!  Strain through a colander and put in the refrigerator overnight so you can skim off the fat before you use it.  I like to use it within a few days of making it.

Tonight, I made “the best chicken noodle soup ever, Mom!”  It was good.  The secret is in the broth...wink wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment