Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Swiss Chard...Easy and Tasty!

‘Tis the season to clip some chard from the garden and cook it up for dinner.  This winter veggie is quick and easy to cook as a side dish ...which is nice because between homework, piano, tennis, track, and the twins getting into things quicker these days, I'm too busy to fuss with much!  I’m sure there are many variations as there are seasonings to this one.  Just go with what you like. 


 Here’s what I do:  After washing the chard, I chop it up into strips while I sauté an onion (on medium heat) in some olive oil with a little salt and pepper.  Yes, I even chop and cook up the stems.

Fresh from the garden, washed, chopped and ready to cook.
Once the onion is soft and a little browned, I add some minced garlic.  I love the smell of garlic as it hits the pan!  I immediately add the chard and a table spoon of water.  Toss it to coat the chard with some of the onion/oil/garlic/salt/pepper mixture and cover to begin the steaming process.

I added crumbled bacon to this recipe.  It is served with a pot roast, baked potato and some steamed broccoli.
Chard is a lot like spinach and it will wilt nicely and absorb the flavors that it’s cooked with.  It only takes a few minutes.  Toss it a few more times and enjoy!

Yay for quick and tasty winter garden veggies!!!  Now, off to an Orthodontist appointment...

No comments:

Post a Comment