Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's PESTO Season!

If a blog is named "Tasty Pesto," it better begin with a pesto recipe!

Last year, I harvested my basil and made pesto.  I found out that we ran out of it far too quickly.  So, this spring/summer I planted several basil plants (some from seed and some from little plants) to make sure that when it came time to make pesto...we would have enough to last many months.  I make batches and freeze them so they are ready when I need them.  We will just have to see how long this year's pesto lasts us!


Use a salad spinner to clean and spin dry the basil and parsley leaves.  Using real garlic will make a difference.  Plant a lemon tree in your yard so you'll always have that one lemon when you need it!  I store my various types of nuts in canning jars in the fridge so they will stay fresh.  I put the date on the back of the label.




Here's the recipe that I like:

1/2 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
3 Tablespoons chopped garlic (the real stuff)
1/2 cup italian parsley, packed
5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 teaspoon real lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups good olive oil
1 cup freshly grated parmesan

In a food processor, put all the ingredients except the olive oil and the parmesan cheese.  Turn it on and slowly pour in the olive oil down the feed tube.  The basil leaves will begin to break down and everything will combine.  Turn it off and scrape down the sides.  Add the parmesan cheese and process for one minute.  I have found that it makes about 2 and 3/4 cups of sauce.  You can freeze this sauce in freezer bags and it will keep just fine till you need it... just make sure there is no air in the bag.  Air is the enemy to basil and will turn it black... which is unappealing.


I cooked up some pasta and added the pesto.  I steamed the broccoli, chopped up a fresh tomato and used leftover Italian parsley from the pesto recipe and sprinkled that on top.  Lastly, I sprinkled a pinch of red pepper flakes for some spice.  And, yes, my kids ate it... because, eventually, kids will eat what you serve them.

1 comment: