Thursday, October 7, 2010

Baking our Family's Daily Bread

About 4 years ago when I mentioned to my husband that I thought it might be a good idea if I started making bread for our family on a regular basis he jumped on that idea and got me “all set up” for success.  Apparently he LOVES homemade bread and we soon found out why. He began researching to find the best wheat grinder and mixer for the job.  This is what we got.




My mom found these great bread pans at Sur La Table (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this store!).  Four of them work perfectly for this recipe and for making sandwiches that fit into sandwich bags.  A slice of this size and shape of bread also fits perfectly in the toaster.


I’ve now been making our family’s daily bread for about 4 years now.  Today was bread making day.  This is what the twins were doing while I was making bread:


Notice that he is in socks without shoes and he is wet.  Yes, sometimes this happens.

It’s about a 2 hour process from set up to clean up.  Here’s the recipe I got from my friend, Sally Johnson that I use for our “everyday” bread for toast and sandwiches:

6 cups hot tap water (but not so hot that it kills the yeast)
1 cup ground flax seed (optional, if you don’t use this, just replace it with the wheat flour that you’re using)
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup honey
7 1/2  cups freshly ground whole wheat flour
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
2 Tbsp. Saf instant yeast

Put ingredients in Bosch mixer in order listed.  Turn mixer on low for 1 or 2 minutes until all flour is moistened.  Turn off mixer and let dough "sponge" for about 10 minutes.

Now add to the bowl:
2 Tbsp. salt
Approx. 6 cups additional whole wheat flour

Turn mixer on for one minute and if necessary add additional flour, just until dough completely cleans the sides of the bowl (I usually need to add more flour at this point).

Let knead on medium for 6 to 8 minutes.  Grease hands with oil and pull dough out of bowl and divide evenly (and shape into loaves) between 4 large bread pans.  DON'T FORGET TO GREASE THE PANS!  I use a spray.


Let the formed dough rise about 35 minutes in a warm oven.  Note:  when I begin a bread making session, I turn the oven on till it reaches about 200 degrees.  Then I turn it off and by the time I’m ready for the bread to begin rising, the oven is the right temperature for a rise.  I have an oven that has a delayed timer option.  This is great for making bread.  I calculate rise time + cook time and set it all up.  The oven then turns on and warms to 350 degrees and bakes for 35 minutes.  Remove from oven. Let bread cool in pans for 2-5 minutes.  Remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.  I rub some butter on the tops when they are fresh out of the oven.  Store cooled loaves in plastic bags.  Loaves will store longer if frozen.  Tip for small families:  Slice loaves before freezing, so small quantities may be removed easily from freezer.  

I was still making bread and it was time for lunch.  Notice how they each have one foot up and one leg down.  They tend to do the same things sometimes.  Also, the dog is there waiting for any good lunch droppings... see how he is focused on the floor?
The finished product.  I rubbed some butter on top while the bread was hot out of the oven... can you smell that? 
Part of my work that I enjoy because it's worth it.  Once you've tasted this bread and have enjoyed it for so long, store bought bread is not worth eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment