Saturday, October 9, 2010

Soil, Soil, Soil

Both my grandfather and my dad were Realtors.  In real estate, they say there are three important aspects to consider when purchasing property.  They are: location, location and location.  In gardening, I’d say that it’s soil, location and water.  But this past week, I focused on soil, soil and soil.

In the past, I have just bought a few bags of potting soil, mixed it in with my existing dirt and planted whatever.  I am finally ready to learn how to do this right.  Last week, I went down to Orange County Farm Supply and talked fertilizers with the guys who work there.


I had read in one of my favorite books about gardening, “52 Weeks in the California Garden” by Robert Smaus, about fertilizing.  I wanted something organic.  Here’s what I bought:


My neighbor across the street (an older guy...wise in the world of gardening), mentioned that after you plant tomatoes (of which I had 15 plants this summer), you’ll need to add calcium back into the soil.  Great.  How do I add calcium back into the soil?

Egg shells!  That’s the answer, so I began saving my egg shells.  (We tend to eat a lot of eggs).  I’ve got it down to a system.  I collect them in a small container like this:


Sometime during the day, when I’m finally cleaning my kitchen from the morning mess, I rinse the egg shells and put them in a tray on my potting bench.


Then, after a week or so, when they are nice and dry, I’ll crush them.  I usually take a piece of newspaper and cover the pile and press down.  Then, I’ll bring the whole  tray in and use my cuisenart mini-prep to further break them down.  This is probably not necessary, but I’m impatient and want it broken down in my soil as quickly as possible.   I then store the shells in a jar till I’m ready to add them to my soil.


Today, I added it right to my soil, added the fertilizer, and mixed it all up and watered it in.

A sprinkling of egg shells and fertilizer before I mixed it in
 Today, I planted onions, garlic and celery in another part of my garden.

New celery plants... 
I have never planted celery until this year... only time will tell!  I just bought plants from OSH, but I have seeds to start as well.  I have found that I use a LOT of celery while cooking... and onions, and garlic and CARROTS!  Yes, carrots are next.

No comments:

Post a Comment