Thursday, December 16, 2010

Homemade Pizza on a "Cold" Day in December

We played in the sprinklers on Monday morning (80 degrees) yet had to bundle up for our morning run yesterday (60 degrees)...sheesh!


I LOVE my double BOB stroller.
I took the babies to the Santa Ana Zoo this morning and while I was there I was thinking about what to make for dinner.  Yes, I have to think about dinner way before dinner time otherwise dinner ends up being way late or the dinner turns out just plain awful.  I'd rather plan all my meals for one whole week on Sunday night, go shopping on Monday and then let the week move along just splendidly...that was before the twins.


Pizza.  I have my garden fresh homemade tomato sauce in the freezer.  I have flour (this time I added a few cups of whole wheat flour into the dough), I have pepperoni, ground turkey, veggies (onion and garlic too!) and mozzarella. That's pretty much all you need to make a healthy pizza for your family. It seems that no two pizza nights are exactly the same.

Pizza dough (enough for 3 large pizzas) is 7 cups flour, 2 1/2 cups warm water, 2 Tablespoons yeast, 2 teaspoons salt and any spices you want to throw in to the mix.  I make it early in the day and let it rise on the counter a few times before I toss it in the fridge till I'm ready to use it (which can be a few days, if needed).


I chopped all my veggies up and sauteed them with a little olive oil.  I put the garlic in towards the end so they won't burn.  My kids like to top the partially cooked pizza crusts and then I bake them for an additional 12-15 minutes at 425...hence the Pizza on a "cold" Day title...it warms up your kitchen fast!


...And, who doesn't like pizza?  The babies.











No comments:

Post a Comment