Monday, December 13, 2010

Roma Tomatoes in December?!?

Would you believe that in mid-December I harvested 34 (yes, I counted) roma tomatoes!?!?  We had an unusually cold summer this past summer.  In fact, in all my year, I think it was by far the coldest summer that Southern California has ever had.  So, at the end of August when it was still cold-ish (for August), I bought a roma tomato plant from OSH and plopped it in some prepared soil in a sunny spot.  I thought that it might be a warm fall since we didn’t really have a summer.  September was HOT and so was October.  It cooled down in November and I didn’t think that those green Romas would ripen...but they did.

  

So, today I decided to use them up.  I roasted them skins and all plus some onions and garlic and salt and pepper (kinda like I did when I made my spaghetti sauce this summer).  I followed Ina Garten’s recipe for Basil Tomato Soup...yes, I still have some useable basil in the garden!  My son, who does not like soup at all, at this up fast and said, “Mom, it wasn’t that bad!”  I took that as a compliment ...coming from him.


No comments:

Post a Comment